Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fun cake for a friend

Last night I had some fun!! My friend and most awesome next door neighbor's husband's birthday and their wedding anniversary are this month, and she ordered him a big ole cake.
I haven't done a cake like this in a while, all the carving, and stuff.
So I thought I'd share.

Covered the board in fondant and did a wood flooring kind of effect. You can find a tutorial for this here. Then, carved my cake for the big bottle and made the other two from rice cereal treats. Covered it all in fondant to finish it up, and some love for my airbrush made the coloring happen! My favorite part of course was making the sugar ice, I love to do that. I made two sorts, a shard looking kind and then formed pieces. You can find a tutorial for that here at Melissa Dotson's Decorate the Cake.

Not a very great picture, b/c light at 2am isn't so great :) Hope you enjoy, and Happy Birthday and Anniversary my friends!

6 comments:

Amy said...

cute cute cute

Pat said...

What a fantastically unique cake!
I bet the birthday boy will be delighted with it.

Brooke said...

Nice! Looks like a lot of work, great job!

JennyMac said...

I am in total awe of your fabulousness. This cake is incredible!

Heather said...

Thank you so much everyone!

Kristin said...

You are amazing!